The holidays are here and fraud is on the rise. Here are some tips:
- Be aware of the heightened risk of attacks and scams, such as phishing attacks, scams where the victim is asked to pay the scammer money, and recruitment scams where the victim is asked to pay a bit of money up front to earn more money later on. Remember, if you did not initiate the conversation or transaction – do not give out your account information or PIN number!
- If a deal sounds ‘too good to be true’. It probably is.
- We recommend that you more closely and more frequently monitor ACH items, outgoing wires, and online transaction activity on all of your cards and accounts to look out for any unauthorized activity. Let us know right away if you spot anything that is suspect.
- We have systems in place to help flag or block any unusual out-of-state card purchases. Please alert us if you will be traveling over the holidays, so that they are not affected by these preventative measures. These systems will also generate verification calls to ensure transactions on your account were performed by you. Please respond promptly to these as legitimate transactions may not be processed without this verification.
- In the event of a compromise, we will determine if we will block and reissue or monitor compromised card numbers. In cases where the full unaltered magnetic stripe has been compromised, we would most likely block and reissue the card data. If this happens we will contact cardholders to let them know when they are part of the compromised breach and will place a message on our website or phone system with any updates about the breach.
Visit our Fraud Alerts page for more information and some helpful security videos.